stills from where? (5)
stills from where? (4)
stills from where? (3)
stills from where? (2)
stills from where? (1)
Alain Cavalier : Ce Répondeur Ne Prend Pas de Messages
1. First of all, “DV” doesn’t exist. I mean, DV doesn’t exist as a new medium. Digital is just a technical development of something called video, that has been around for a number of years, and been used by artists since its inception.
2. Why do I use super-8? Because it is unreliable, restricting and somewhat expensive.
3. I’m like everybody else: when things are made simple for me, I tend to be lazy.
4. Hurrah for Digital Video, because it means we can get good old film equipment for peanuts.
5. Hurrah for Digital Video, the chance for film to become different, just like painting found its own way once it had been liberated from representation by the invention of photography.
6. I spent too much time in front of a computer when I was 17, and I spend too much time in front of a computer now.
7. I like the smell of chemicals and holding the 5-liter bleach basin better.
8. Limitations can be inspiring. This is my third film with no sync sound, and there will be others.
9. I’ll use a DV camera when I can build one myself. (I hate to feel like a consumer.)
10. Maybe I’ll make film in DV some day. Really.
11. Kodak can stop manufacturing film. We’ll paint emulsion over the abandoned prints of past blockbusters and refilm over them.
12. Aren’t those film-against-video debates a little futile? “Faut-il tourner en film, en video, ou en Patagonie?”, as the old Swiss crook used to say.
13. Distribution is the question. Although marginal and unfunded, distribution of experimental film happens.